On May 4, 2020, that Google’s Danny Sullivan has confirmed that a core algorithm update is rolling out today. This update is officially be known as the “May 2020 Core Update.” When it comes to naming these kinds of updates then Google has been one step ahead of the SEO community. The company now defaults to a generic Month or year naming pattern. We’d all be tempted to refer to this as the “May the Fourth” update or something to that effect.
Second Core Update in 2020
May 2020 Core Update is the Google’s second confirmed update of 2020 so far, with the first one launching back in January.
What is the Purpose of the Core Updates?
- The broad core updates are designed with the purpose to produce the widely noticeable effects across search results in all countries in all languages. If you have questions and want to know more then contact the web development company.
- Sites will inevitably notice drops or gains in search rankings when a core update rolls out.
- With the reflection of the content relevancy, it changes in the search ranking.
- On the other hand, if the content has gained a lot of the relevancy since the last update then it will be moved higher up in the rankings. And vice versa.
- Then there is newly published content that didn’t exist at the time of the last update. So all have to be reassessed against previously existing content.
- Rankings can move around quite a bit.
Since COVID-19; First Core Update
- Therefore the last core update was launched in the second week of January 2020.
- At the time, coronavirus and COVID-19 were hardly on anyone’s radar.
- It came with the significant shifts in users’ search behavior because the world quickly changed when coronavirus was declared as a pandemic.
- Google said there had never been so many searches for a single topic as there have been for COVID-19. After this update, many changes occur in the optimization of search results.
- In the time of the COVID-19 has changed what people need from Google’s search results.
- So it may about seeking information about the virus itself or the places that are offering remote services or where we should buy much-needed products online.
There are many things that are gaining relevancy that was not as relevant to the searchers before.
- Categories that were once highly relevant that is not being searched for as much. For instance, the searches that are related to travel, tourism, live entertainment, and in-person events are all down.
- With the May 2020 Core Update, Google is faced with the unique challenge of catching up with how the world is searching.
- Over time, we will see if people are finding it easier to access the information they need through Google Search.
May 2020 Core Update: What to Do
- The guidance of Google regarding this update remains exactly the same as all the core updates in the past.
- Google has said that there is nothing to fix if the rankings drop after a core update.
- It is routinely advised to site owners to make their content the best it can be.
Like and Share our Facebook Page.